Acupuncture can improve pregancy success rates with IVF and IUI. We work closely to follow and support the plan put together by you and your reproductive specialist.
Acupuncture may help to assist IVF / IUI and a medicated cycle by:
- increasing implantation rates after IUI and with an IVF embryo transfer
- increasing rate of pregnancy
- improving egg quality & increasing ovarian responsiveness
- nourishing the uterine lining and normalizing reproductive hormones
- improving blood flow to the ovaries & uterus
- improving sperm count, morphology, & motility
- prevent miscarriage, early pregnancy loss, and lower ectopic pregnancy rates
- decrease side effects of medication (such as fatigue, hotflashes, abdominal cramping)
- reduce stress and anxiety to improve fertility
It is ideal for a woman to begin treatment 3 months prior to the time she wants to conceive. This is the time it takes for a complete cycle of a developing egg, gives time to normalize the menstrual cycle and increases the chances of a healthy pregnancy and baby.
Often when a woman is undergoing ART she comes in the month that the procedure is beginning. At this point treatments are 1-3 times per week for the duration of the cycle. No Chinese herbs are prescribed. Diet and lifestyle changes can be made and side effects from the medication mitigated. After the procedure the focus changes to supporting implantation and preventing miscarriage.
We recommend the donor or male partner receive acupuncture weekly for 3 months prior to giving a sample if there are any fertility issues with count, motility, or morphology. It is especially important the day before or day of transfer.
Recent studies have show that there is a higher chance of a healthy baby after IVF when Whole Systems TCM has been added to the cycle. This means acupuncture along with changes is lifestyle and diet according to East Asian Medicine yields better results!